You have questions, we have answers. If you can’t find what you’re looking for in our FAQ section below, use our online submission form.

Result: Category: Washington P/EVO

Are cards from other states accepted in Washington?

Yes. Currently, Washington accepts cards from Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Utah, and Virginia. See the WSDOT Pilot/Escort Vehicle Information page for details.

Is the Washington State certification valid in other states?

Yes. The Washington State P/EVO certification is valid in several other states.

See our Pilot Car Reciprocity Page for further details.

What equipment do I need to operate a pilot car in Washington State?

P/E vehicles are required to have special signs, lights, and specific safety equipment. Refer to Washington Administrative Code 468-38-100(9-10) for details.

What kind of vehicle do I need to operate as a pilot in Washington State?

According to Washington Administrative Code 468-38-100(8):

In addition to being in safe and reliable operating condition, the vehicle shall:

(a) Be either a single unit passenger car, including passenger van, or a two-axle truck, including a nonplacarded service truck;

(b) Not exceed a maximum gross vehicle weight or gross weight rating of sixteen thousand pounds;

(c) Have a body width of at least sixty inches but no greater than one hundred two inches;

(d) Not exceed the legal limits of size and weight, as defined in chapter 46.44 RCW;

(e) Be equipped with outside rear-view mirrors, located on each side of the vehicle; and

(f) Not tow a trailer while escorting.

What kind of insurance do I need in order to operate as a P/EVO in Washington?

According to Washington Administrative Code 468-38-100(16):

For hire certified pilot/escort vehicle operators are required to have insurance to conduct the duties associated to this rule:

(a) One hundred thousand dollars for bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident;

(b) Three hundred thousand dollars for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident; and

(c) Fifty thousand dollars for damage to or destruction of property of others in any one accident.

Satisfactory evidence of the insurance shall be carried at all times by the operator of the pilot vehicle, which evidence shall be displayed upon request by a law enforcement officer.

What are the requirements for being a P/EVO in Washington State?

The following qualifications are general requirements for P/EVOs in Washington State:

  • Must carry a valid certification card (if required for the state in which they are operating—not all states require certification cards).
  • Must carry proof of the required insurance for each state they are entering or working in.
  • Must be in possession of a valid driver’s license.
  • Must be at least 18 years of age.
  • Should be able to follow written and verbal instructions.
  • If corrective lenses are necessary, the operator must be wearing the lenses while performing P/E duties.
  • Must be able to perform emergency flagging and traffic control duties and traffic control (including, if necessary, standing for long periods of time in various weather conditions).
  • Must be drug and alcohol free when performing P/EVO duties.
  • Must be healthy and free of fatigue.
  • Must not display badge, shield, emblem, or uniform of color or design that may be mistaken for law enforcement badge, emblem or uniform.

Each state has different certification and insurance requirements for P/EVOs. If you will be traveling through multiple states, you should check that you are carrying the proper type and amount of insurance for each, and that your certification is valid in each state. 

Stay in the Loop

We'll share important information on the topics that matter to you!

Choose your areas of interest so that you will receive the information you need the most.

Evergreen Safety Council