You have questions, we have answers. If you can’t find what you’re looking for in our FAQ section below, use our online submission form.

What equipment do I need to operate a pilot car in Washington State?

P/E vehicles are required to have special signs, lights, and specific safety equipment. Refer to Washington Administrative Code 468-38-100(9-10) for details.

What kind of vehicle do I need to operate as a pilot in Washington State?

According to Washington Administrative Code 468-38-100(8):

In addition to being in safe and reliable operating condition, the vehicle shall:

(a) Be either a single unit passenger car, including passenger van, or a two-axle truck, including a nonplacarded service truck;

(b) Not exceed a maximum gross vehicle weight or gross weight rating of sixteen thousand pounds;

(c) Have a body width of at least sixty inches but no greater than one hundred two inches;

(d) Not exceed the legal limits of size and weight, as defined in chapter 46.44 RCW;

(e) Be equipped with outside rear-view mirrors, located on each side of the vehicle; and

(f) Not tow a trailer while escorting.

What kind of insurance do I need in order to operate as a P/EVO in Washington?

According to Washington Administrative Code 468-38-100(16):

For hire certified pilot/escort vehicle operators are required to have insurance to conduct the duties associated to this rule:

(a) One hundred thousand dollars for bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident;

(b) Three hundred thousand dollars for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident; and

(c) Fifty thousand dollars for damage to or destruction of property of others in any one accident.

Satisfactory evidence of the insurance shall be carried at all times by the operator of the pilot vehicle, which evidence shall be displayed upon request by a law enforcement officer.

What are the requirements for being a P/EVO in Washington State?

The following qualifications are general requirements for P/EVOs in Washington State:

  • Must carry a valid certification card (if required for the state in which they are operating—not all states require certification cards).
  • Must carry proof of the required insurance for each state they are entering or working in.
  • Must be in possession of a valid driver’s license.
  • Must be at least 18 years of age.
  • Should be able to follow written and verbal instructions.
  • If corrective lenses are necessary, the operator must be wearing the lenses while performing P/E duties.
  • Must be able to perform emergency flagging and traffic control duties and traffic control (including, if necessary, standing for long periods of time in various weather conditions).
  • Must be drug and alcohol free when performing P/EVO duties.
  • Must be healthy and free of fatigue.
  • Must not display badge, shield, emblem, or uniform of color or design that may be mistaken for law enforcement badge, emblem or uniform.

Each state has different certification and insurance requirements for P/EVOs. If you will be traveling through multiple states, you should check that you are carrying the proper type and amount of insurance for each, and that your certification is valid in each state. 

How will I get my course materials?

Your course materials will be sent to you in the mail prior to your training session.

How will I access the webinar and the exam?

The online P/EVO training is a live online training course facilitated in real time by a remote instructor. All training is conducted through Zoom. Online testing is conducted through Test Invite. Students will receive directions for logging into Zoom in their confirmation letter. They must log into the training at least 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the session.

What if my equipment fails or I am unable to access Zoom?

If there are technical issues on the student’s end that prevent them from connecting to the class, they will be required to re-register, repay, and attend all segments of the session over again.

Can I share a computer with another student?

No. Everyone must be on their own device. Sharing a computer with another class participant is NOT allowed.

What equipment do I need for the online class?

You are required to use a laptop or computer with working speakers, microphone, and webcam.

You must have an internet connection capable of streaming live video and a current operating system capable of running Zoom and our testing platform. You can take the following sample test to check everything will work well for you.

Note: phones and tablets are not allowed as they will not work with the testing platform. If you do not have such a computer, you will not be able to attend and no refund will be issued.

I have commercial driving experience. Do I still need to be certified?

Yes. Even if you have a CDL, you must still be certified as a P/EVO in order to operate a pilot car in Washington or Colorado.

I’m certified in another state. Can I transfer that?

Certifications are not transferable between states. In other words, you may not exchange your state certification for a different state certification. However, many states have reciprocity and acceptance agreements, making it possible for P/EVOs who are certified in one state to legally operate in another.

Note that each state has its own specific requirements for P/EVOs, equipment, and procedures. It is your responsibility to understand the laws and regulations in each state you operate in.

I operate in another state. Should I get certified in Washington or Colorado?

It depends. Washington and Colorado each have agreements with other states that allow operators with valid cards to operate legally in those states, provided they follow all state laws, rules, and regulations. If you operate in a state that has reciprocity with either Washington or Colorado, you may want to consider getting certified in one of these states. Refer to this chart from the Federal Highway Administration for details on reciprocity.

How can I get a replacement card?

Evergreen Safety Council provides replacement cards for a $20 fee, as long as the student can be verified as currently certified according to our records. The student must provide first and last name, mailing address, phone number, ID number used on the card (if any), and location and approximate date of training.

Who enforces certification requirements?

Certification is enforced by the State Patrol on highways and at the weigh stations.

Who is required to undergo P/EVO training?

Anyone serving as a Pilot/Escort Vehicle Operator within the borders of Washington State or Colorado must be trained and certified.

Evergreen Safety Council