Frequently Asked Questions

You have questions, we have answers. If you can’t find what you’re looking for in our FAQ section below, use our online submission form.

Washington P/EVO

What are the requirements for being a P/EVO in Washington State?

The following qualifications are general requirements for P/EVOs in Washington State:

  • Must carry a valid certification card (if required for the state in which they are operating—not all states require certification cards).
  • Must carry proof of the required insurance for each state they are entering or working in.
  • Must be in possession of a valid driver’s license.
  • Must be at least 18 years of age.
  • Should be able to follow written and verbal instructions.
  • If corrective lenses are necessary, the operator must be wearing the lenses while performing P/E duties.
  • Must be able to perform emergency flagging and traffic control duties and traffic control (including, if necessary, standing for long periods of time in various weather conditions).
  • Must be drug and alcohol free when performing P/EVO duties.
  • Must be healthy and free of fatigue.
  • Must not display badge, shield, emblem, or uniform of color or design that may be mistaken for law enforcement badge, emblem or uniform.

Each state has different certification and insurance requirements for P/EVOs. If you will be traveling through multiple states, you should check that you are carrying the proper type and amount of insurance for each, and that your certification is valid in each state.