Offered in Mt. Vernon, Everett, Renton, Kent, Tacoma, Sumner, Lakewood, Olympia and Chehalis this course provides flaggers with the basic knowledge, information and awareness to perform their jobs safely. After completing the course, students receive a wallet-size card certifying their training. The card is valid for three years.
Payment in full is required to receive flagging card.
Flaggers should be able to satisfactorily do all of the following:
- Receive and communicate specific instructions clearly, firmly, and courteously.
- Move and maneuver quickly.
- Control signaling devices, such as paddles.
- Understand and apply safe traffic-control practices.
- Recognize dangerous traffic situations and warn workers.
- Stand for prolonged periods on uneven surfaces (up to 10 hours).
- Traverse uneven surfaces and terrain.
- Stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Grasp, push, or pull.
- Hear warnings.
- See dangerous situations.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Receive, understand, and take positive appropriate action based on information/instructions presented verbally and/or in writing.
- Be at a least 18 years of age.
The following community and technical colleges may offer open-enrollment flagger training.
Classes are usually part of continuing eductation, extended learning, or other non-credit programs.
This class prepares students to receive a Flagger Certification card, which is valid for 3 years in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana. Students must be at least 18 years old and must bring a valid State I.D. Card or Drivers License to the class. There is an open book test at the end of class in which you must have a passing score of 80% in order to receive your certification.
- Class is eight hours long
- Students receive Traffic Control Flagger Certification Handbook (yours to keep and reference on the job)
- Students take an open book test at the end of the class
- Successful completers receive a Flagger Certification Card
Course Fee (payment in full is required to receive certification)
$77 for members, $85 for non-members. Costs includes all materials