Flagger Certification Training

About our Flagger Certification Training Course

This course will prepare you with the necessary knowledge and skills needed to enhance the safety of both workers and drivers in a workzone. At the end of the course, you will receive a Flagger Certification card, which is valid for 3 years in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. We periodically offer classes in other locations throughout the greater Seattle area and Washington State. View our upcoming class schedule to find a location near you.

Students must be at least 18 years old and must bring a valid State I.D. Card or Drivers License to the class. There is an open book test at the end of class in which you must have a passing score of 80% in order to receive your certification.

Course Details

  • Class is eight hours long
  • Students receive Traffic Control Flagger Certification Handbook (yours to keep and reference on the job)
  • Students take an open book test at the end of the class
  • Successful completers receive a Flagger Certification Card
  • Students must be at least 18 years of age


Receive and communicate specific instructions clearly, firmly, and courteously | Move and maneuver quickly | Control signaling devices, such as paddles | Understand and apply safe traffic-control practices | Recognize dangerous traffic situations and warn workers | Stand for prolonged periods on uneven surfaces (up to 10 hours) | Traverse uneven surfaces and terrain | Stoop, kneel, or crouch | Grasp, push, or pull | Hear warnings | See dangerous situations | Occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds | Receive, understand, and take positive appropriate action based on information/instructions presented verbally and/or in writing

Request a Replacement Flagger Card

If you have lost your Flagger Card, you can request a replacement by completing this form.

Read More

The following community and technical colleges may offer open-enrollment flagger training.

Classes are usually part of continuing education, extended learning, or other non-credit programs.

Flagger Training for Oregon

Chemeketa Community College Customized Training (Salem, OR) 503.399.5181
Lane Community College Continuing Education (Eugene, OR) 541.463.6100

Flagger Training for Washington

For college contact information, check your local directory or try this PDF.
This is not an exhaustive list. Classes are usually part of continuing education, extended learning, or other non-credit programs.

Bellingham Technical College—Continuing Education (Bellingham, WA) 360.752.8350

Centralia College—Continuing Education (Centralia, WA) 360.736.9391 Ext. 427 or 483

Clark College—Corporate and Continuing Education (Vancouver, WA) 360.699.6398

Columbia Basin College—Career and Technical Education (Pasco, WA) 509.542.4804

Edmonds Community College—Community/Business—Construction Industry Training (Lynnwood, WA) 425.640.1459

Grays Harbor College—Continuing Education (Aberdeen, WA) 360.538.4088

Lower Columbia College—Continuing Education (Longview, WA) 360.442.2602

Olympic College—Continuing Education (Bremerton, WA) 360.475.7786

Spokane Community College—Short-Term Programs (Spokane, WA) 509.279.6030

Wenatchee Valley College—Continuing Education (Wenatchee, WA) 509.682.6900

Yakima Valley College—Career Connections Center (Yakima, WA) 509.574.4745 or 509.574.4600

Flagger Training for Idaho

The following is a list of the Community and Technical Colleges offering open enrollment flagger training in Idaho:

College of Southern Idaho
College of Western Idaho
Eastern Idaho Technical College
Idaho State University
Lewis & Clark State College
North Idaho College

Flagger Training for Montana

Montana LTAP (Montana State University)

Read less


What can I do if I lose my Flagger Certification card?

If you have lost your Flagger Card, you can request a replacement by compleating this form.

What is the minimum age to qualify as a flagger?

Because flagging is classified as a hazardous job, flaggers must be at least 18 years old in order to receive a Flagger Certification card.

Where can I receive flagger training?

Evergreen Safety Council offers traffic control flagger classes at least once a month in Kirkland and sometimes Tacoma, Seattle, etc. You can also contact the local community college in your area. Such classes are usually held in the Continuing Education department, as shown here.

Evergreen Safety Council