Idaho Traffic Control Supervisor Certification

Idaho State Traffic Control Supervisor Certification & Recertification:

The Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) and an increasing number of other Public Works/Street and Highway Departments are requiring a certified Traffic
Control Supervisor (TCS) for road construction and maintenance projects. The Evergreen Safety Council (ESC) is approved by ITD and the State Traffic Control
Oversight Committee to present this program. The program is comprised of materials developed by the Federal Highway Administration, ITD and ESC.

To qualify for certification you must meet the requirements listed above.

Course Description

This 2-day certification course includes presentations, exercises, and references to Federal and State highway construction and Traffic Control standards.
Participants receive a comprehensive reference manual and other reference materials to assist with on-the-job practical issues and performance standards. Once
successfully completed, certification is valid for 4 years.

Renewing the certification is accomplished by attending and successfully completing a 1-day Idaho Traffic Control Supervisor Recertification class.

Note: If your TCS card expires, you have six months to take the one-day recertification. However, you cannot work as a certified TCS if your card is

Read More


The requirements listed below must be met before a Traffic Control Supervisor Certification card can be issued:

 A current, state-approved flagging card from Idaho, Montana, Oregon, or Washington (Oregon students are not required to meet this requirement).
 Two signed letters* (or one letter with two signatures) verifying 2,000 hours of work in traffic control–related tasks. The hours can be achieved over multiple years and from multiple sources.
 Individuals must complete TCS training and pass the exam with a score of 80% or better.
 Fill out and return the TCS Admin paperwork.
 Payment must be received.

Letters can be submitted by any of the following who can verify the knowledge and experience of the TCS candidate:

 Employers (past and/or present)
 DOT inspectors
 Other traffic-control supervisors

These letters should include:

 Brief history of individual’s working experience.
 Experience may include work in the following areas:
 Experience as a construction inspector, including inspection of traffic control.
 Traffic control work on a survey crew.
 Designing or reviewing traffic control plans.
 Other specific traffic control experience (setup and take-down).
 Some flagging experience.
 Project(s) they have worked on.
 Approximate number of cumulative hours worked as a flagger/work zone worker.

Letter format:

 Must be typed and on letterhead. (If letterhead is not available, a company business card should accompany the letter.)
 Must provide contact information for the signatories.

*Note: Any of the letters provided may be submitted to the state upon request.

Submit required paperwork to flagger@esc.org

Be aware that the Evergreen Safety Council cannot issue your TCS card or certificate until we have received all required information as outlined above.

Read less


What is the difference between a TCS and TCT?

TCS stands for Traffic Control Supervisor.

The TCS ensures that the traffic control measures shown on the approved traffic control plans are properly implemented, operating, and documented on the project. The contractor’s TCS may not be required full time on a given project, but is required to perform all duties required by the specifications. The TCS is responsible to be on the project whenever traffic control labor is being utilized, or less frequently if authorized by the engineer.

TCT is a Traffic Control Technician.

The TCT is an apprentice position, indicating an individual who has not obtained enough hours and/or experience to be a TCS but has passed the Traffic Control Supervisors Course. The TCT can perform some of the duties of the TCS under the TCS’s supervision. (Note: The TCT is not a recognized certification in Washington; Idaho offers a separate course for a TCT.)

What states accept the TCS cards?

Washington only accepts a Washington State card at this time. Oregon only accepts an Oregon State card at this time.

Idaho will accept both Washington and Oregon TCS cards; however, the TCS is responsible for reviewing Idaho standards and laws.

Idaho Traffic Control Supervisor

How can I register?

You can register online by visiting our registration portal, located in the top right corner of this window.

Related TCS Courses